Wednesday, October 14, 2009

To Heat or Not to Heat?

So the ultimate argument between roommates I am finding to be whether to turn on the heat or not turn it on. I know that by not turning it on we save energy and as a result we also save money. Last year I was able to go the entire Winter turning on the heat only for a couple days in January for about a half hour a day to just get the cold air out. Of course it was a studio apartment, so it wasn't very big and the heat generated from the stove did a lot. But still I was amazed, I had never ever done anything like that before. I am not going to say it was easy, sometimes I thought I was crazy but I was determined to try.

Now from this experience you can probably tell I am all for saving money and energy, but the home I am living in this year is a lot bigger than last year and the cold air is penetrating the inside. It feels the same in October that it did in my studio in December. Now I think under these circumstances it is reasonable to turn on the heat for a 30 min interval at night and possibly in the morning, and then turn it off during the day when we are gone and when we are sleeping. I know at least one of my roommates in particular is dead set against turning on the heat at all and this is the battle I am trying to prepare for, what is better saving money or being a little more comfortable? This is what I am trying to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment