Monday, October 26, 2009

Half-Way Point

Well we've reached the middle of the quarter. It has certainly gone by quickly.

The goals I created to help in reducing my carbon footprint were:
  • To try and cut out eating animal products one meal a day or when I do eat animal products try and use organic.
  • When I do use my car, I am going to try and develop a ride share schedule around town or to Seattle with my roommates, so that each of us aren’t driving to the same locations in our own vehicles.
  • When I go to a coffee shop to study instead of getting a paper to-go cup and composting it later, instead getting a ceramic cup to use while I am there.
  • Increase my recycling habits and become better about composting regularly.
After taking a step back to think about the goals I had originally set, I realized I potentially created a problem where I was not going to be able to uphold my goals as much as I would want to. Instead of buying organic foods all the time, I changed commitment to eating the food I already have before taking a trip to the store to stock up on more items. Which I have been able to keep-up very well, the amount of food that was in my pantry and refrigerator has diminished quite a bit and I am able to save money in the process.

With my other goals, I am continuing to uphold those commitments. The major goal I am having trouble with is the ability to ride share with my roommates or friends on trips down south, our schedules and wants are just not meeting up to where it would work out. But I have reduced the amount of trips I had panned at the beginning of the quarter which has helped reduce the amount of driving I would have done.

Recently I have had a disagreement with my roommates about turning on the heat in the house. I have been able to help keep my room warmer by installing thermal curtains at the window to reduce the amount of cold air getting through, as well as invest in a low energy heating blanket that helps keep my bed comfortable while sleeping and keeps the electricity off. I am going to try and keep this going for the winter, but I am just taking one day at a time.

1 comment: