Sunday, November 22, 2009

Changes in my Ecological Footprint

So when I began this quarter I started off with 5.06 earths to sustain my life cycle. I committed to changing:
  • What I ate. I reduced the amount of red meat I ate and increased the amount of plant based foods instead. I was also able to reduce the amount of meals a week with animal based products.
  • I tried to buy organic food, but the costs were too high to sustain that lifestyle choice at this time, so I committed to eating the food I had in my pantry and reduce the amount of trips to the grocery store.
  • I tried carpooling with my roommates to Seattle instead of driving separately, which did not actually work as well as I hoped, but I reduced the amount of trips I had planned for myself instead.
  • Instead of heading to a coffee shop to study, I stayed home and used the tea and coffee already there in my own ceramic cups. But if I did go to the coffee shops on my way to school or on campus I brought my own to-go cup.
  • I increased the amount of composting and recycling at home and at school.
Through these efforts I was able to reduce my carbon footprint to 3.09 earths. I find that amazing! There is still more that can be done, but at this time I am doing the best I can. The changes I've made are different from what I am used to, but they are not too extreme where they are difficult to fulfill. I am confident I can continue these practices for a long time and increasing them later on as I am able. Throughout the my last year as a student I am going to continue doing what I have been to reduce my carbon footprint, and then after I enter into the real world I will further increase my ability to buy organic and greener products.

All I can say is what a transformation!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Ashley, a reduction of 2 earths is something to be proud of! You will need to include the print-outs from the EF quiz (bar chart + pie-chart) on your blog if you want full credit.

    ReplyDelete